Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tattoo, or not tattoo: that is the question.

Tattoos aren't for everyone. Then again, children aren't for everyone either. Well, today I am the proud parent of a new tattoo! It's my fourth, and just like my own children, they are very different and very special in their own way. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it is a phoenix.....yep, that's it in the above photo. It now lives forever on my arm. It is an early birthday present for myself. (My mother is going to kill me!) I put a lot of thought into this (mom) and I had searched for months for just the right image. It's important to me because I want, and need, that visual reminder of my own strength.  To many, myself included, a phoenix represents a new beginning, that no matter how bad (hot) things may get, I will get back up on my feet and rise out of the ashes. We all have strength and resilience, I just chose to display mine differently. I'm very pleased with it and I must give a shout out to DaWei Tattoo in Santa Clara. DaWei was almost as excited about it as I was! The passion for his work and talent showed all over him and now, on part of me too. He let me pick a DVD to watch and I was so relaxed and comfortable that at times, the hum of the machine almost lulled me to sleep.... that is, when it wasn't hurting like hell.   www.daweitattoo.com

The Phoenix as a Symbol of Rebirth

After this purification, a phoenix egg or a young bird appears, renewing the life cycle of the bird and making the phoenix virtually immortal and invincible. The phoenix also has the ability to regenerate itself when wounded.

 

Phoenix Symbolism and Christianity

The phoenix was also adopted by the early Catholic Church as a symbol of Christ, specifically relating to His resurrection. Christians claim the inclusion of the phoenix in the Old Testament based on translations of the word “chol”. The symbol of the phoenix has been further expanded to include the concept of life after death.

To quote Elvis, whose birthday is today: "that's all right mama"!