Friday, March 18, 2011

Muscle Flexing

I’ve been challenged to write about muscles. Well, I do love a challenge!  If I’m to write about a specific muscle related to the theme of this blog, then that muscle would have to be the heart. And yes, I’ve looked it up – the heart can be considered both a muscle and an organ. So, the heart, like any other muscle needs a daily workout, can be hurt, broken and then will need extensive rehab in order to function properly again. I’ve been there and done that! My heart was exercised daily, then it ached for months and then it broke into pieces … barely beating at all - then, slowly but surely, it began to heal and mend, and it amazingly was able to put itself back together again.  Then I started a new routine of exercising it, until it got stronger and stronger and eventually strong enough to handle the full force of love again. I like seeing the heart as a muscle. As a muscle, we can have more control over its success or failure; less so with an organ. The heart is an amazing muscle, so strong and yet so fragile. I am in awe at how it can reject, recall and revive.

I overworked a few muscles the other day. I was sore for days, but it felt good. It's as though with every ache of that sore muscle it was really saying: thank you, thank you for the much needed workout. I plan to continue with this new workout regiment. I’m giving back to the physical-ness that carries me. I’m contributing a little bit, here and there, so it will last me that much longer. It’s an investment.
No pain, no gain!   Feel the burn!   Pass the Bengay!