Friday, February 25, 2011

The "C" Word

2010 walk team!


Breast cancer, colon cancer, ovarian cancer.... for me, the word "cancer" is so devastating that it no longer matters what words come before or after it. Even "cancer free" doesn't sound all that freeing to the mind ... you're still forever linked, scarred and leery. It's a very powerful word. A word so familiar, that I dare you to find a single person who has no connection to cancer. And when it attaches itself to someone, it attaches itself to many. It affects families, friends and futures. It does not discriminate between rich or poor, black or white, sinner or saint. My wife died of small bowel cancer, specifically, stage 4, Mucinous Andenocarcinoma of the intestines. I've tried to think of something just as powerful to combat it. Love? Well, if love was all it took, my wife would still be here. Money? Well, that just might work ... it certainly couldn't hurt. Is it possible to put enough money into treatments, options and research for cures? God, I hope so. As I type this, other families are going through what mine went through and I can't just sit by and let that happen. This year, I will once again be supporting my "other daughter" Onne, at the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer / San Francisco. Her walk team is called the 911 Angels because they are all part of San Jose Police Department's 911 call takers. As a team, we have been doing this for several years now. "We" - as in she does the training and walking and suffering and I write a check, show up, holler, cheer, clap, wave and cry (not necessarily in that order). Hey, we all play a part. Oh yeah, I even wear pink! And I have the pictures to prove it!  Here is the link for you to support however you see fit:   http://www.avonwalk.org/san-francisco/
Let's obliterate that "C" word once and for all! After all, we are all on the same side. Go Team!