Friday, November 26, 2010

Leftovers

Ahhh....leftovers! That warm, full feeling deep in your gut. No, I'm not talking about gravy...I'm talking about the love.... the family.... the friends that I consider family. The genuine, heartfelt texts first thing in the morning wishing me a Happy Thanksgiving. My sister calling, sending her love and thanksgiving wishes. My parents and my brother and his kids that live in Spain. I promised to eat a little extra for them.... and I did...as they don't have a meal such as this over there. Friends that dropped by with hugs and greetings. It's about remembering and reflecting on those who are no longer with us. It's about enjoying the company of those who are with us. Both of my grown children shared the day with me. Tony had his feast earlier, in between his two shifts at work. Nicole helped me straighten the house and make the stuffing. Then, there's my other family. Sue's children Onne and Jason and they each have two children of their own. Onne, Blake (15) and Ian (11) live locally while Jason, Nataly (19) and Kevin (13) live in Los Angeles.  Yes, that means I have 4 grandchildren by marriage and it's wonderful! They call me Grandpa Kim... after all, I was with Sue for 10 years so I'm just about the only partner of hers that they remember. They make it easy to be part of the family....they have since the first time I met them. Onne and Blake joined me for dinner and dessert. Like usual, I enjoyed their company to the point of me always wanting more. Oh, let's not forget the mother-in-law.... that I don't visit as often as I should ... but that's how mother-in-laws go. Anyway, THAT is the warm, filling, yummy leftovers that I was referring to. Now, where's that chocolate cream pie?