Monday, November 22, 2010

Things You Need the Most

A certain church mouse friend recently told me of her favorite poem that a wrote a long time ago. (It's in my previously published book of poems titled "Inside Out" which I am no longer selling but I'll gladly send you a copy if you email me at ks12699 at yahoo.com with your mailing address)  So, to refresh my memory, I re-read that entry and I connected with it all over again.  And I'd like to share it with you now because sometimes we need little reminders, when we feel like we've lost it all, that all we really have to do to survive - is to get back to the basics.

Here it is:

The things that you need the most
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost
You abandoned long ago.
Now hollow, cold and all alone
You search for something new
Just to get you through.
The hard times still are bad
And you forgot what friends you had
Now who'll be there to take your hand
And watch as you grow old?
Time for secrets to be told
The mystery now unfolds
Of loves not meant to be
Was it all too clear to see?
And now too much time is lost
Burnt bridges can't be crossed
And was it worth the cost?
So much pain and despair
Just to be treated fair
The truth was something rare.
Now that your story's known to all
You wonder who will take the fall
And loved ones that you recall
Look at you through judging eyes
It's all part of your sacrifice
But doesn't freedom sure feel nice?
And isn't it about time
To get get back all you've left behind
Those things that you need the most
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost.