Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Friends

I can't even imagine managing my loss all alone.... that would be true devastation. I am always aware of the great blessings I have in my friends.  I have awesome friends. I consider my family as my friends and I consider my friends as if they are my family. There is nothing superficial about my friendships.... they are very deep and very true.  I have a handful of friends that I've held close for over 34 years and many more that just feel that long (in a good way). All of my friends have always been so very supportive of me but never more so than with Sue's illness and passing.  I knew that their offerings were most genuine and heartfelt and there were those that acknowledged being distant on purpose, knowing that that was what I needed at the time. Sometimes just knowing they were there was comforting. No conversation or other sentiments would have made me feel any better.  Sometimes silence is the best gift. My friends are with me for the duration.  I know that if I ever call upon them.... they will be there for me.....doing whatever I need.  And, I make it very clear that I will do the same for them.... in a second!  That's how true friendships work.  I don't want the notice of my many friends to be discouraging to anyone reading this.  If you take inventory and feel that you fall short, then you are mistaken.  Please know that all you really ever need is one, true friend.... that person whom you trust and who will listen and let you lean on them.  And if you think that you don't even have that...... then look to your faith.  Your faith, whatever it may be, will always be your truest, fastest most constant friend.

(This post is dedicated to all of my wonderful friends... my old friends, my new friends and the friends that I haven't even met yet!  I sincerely thank you all.)