Saturday, December 25, 2010

Traditions

It's natural to get sentimental during the holidays but no matter when I get sentimental, as in "home sick", I either play music from Spain or make food from Spain. No, Spain is not my home, I am a California girl, but most of my family is in Spain.  My Mom, Papa, brother and his two kids all live in Valencia. So when I get "home sick", what I really mean is: I miss my mommy. Because the Christmas music has filled my CD player today, I will be cooking migas and empanadillas.  Migas (crumbs) doesn't sound very exciting, it' just chorizo with fried dough with the look and feel of a dry cereal but it's oh so yummy! Empanadillas (empanadas) are filled with sauteed tuna in tomato sauce and bell peppers, wrapped in dough and baked until brown and yummy. This will be my first attempt at empanadillas.  I've made migas every Christmas morning for the last ten years now with the exception of last year. I guess wherever my mind was this time last year, I simply and completely forgot to make them.  I suppose that means that I will have to eat twice as much this year. Oh well, we all make sacrifices :-)  I don't hang up stockings any more... that's a little too 'in your face' that one is missing. It's a quiet and peaceful day but very warm and special too. Last night a good friend of mine invited me to Christmas Eve mass at the Santa Clara Mission Church. It was a beautiful mass and I'm glad that I went. Tomorrow my children and I will try to get to my sister's house and exchange gifts with her and her family.  I'm off of work until Jan. 3rd and loving every bit of it!  Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good......LIFE!

(the photo above is of the migas that I made for breakfast)