Monday, December 20, 2010

Spin Control

There's a scene from the movie Tango & Cash where Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone are in an all terrain vehicle headed into the enemy's compound to kill all the bad guys or die trying. The driver (Russell), turns to Stallone and says: "I have some good news and bad news." Stallone asks for the bad news first. Russell replies: "We're almost out of gas." Then Stallone asks for the good news and Russell replies: "We're ALMOST out of gas"

One way of coping for me is to try to always be an optimist. It takes a lot of practice and it's not always easy but whatever "spin" I can put to a negative situation to make me feel better about..... I'll do. You can apply such spin to just about any situation. For example: Sue is no longer here physically. That is very true, but when she was here physically, in human form, she couldn't always be with me. She had work, family responsibilities, she socialized with friends and so on.  But, in spirit form, she is everywhere! She can be with me anytime I want. She can be at the beach, beside me on the couch or even in my back pocket. You see what I just did? That's spin! Sometimes so much spin is needed that I take a Dramamine. And sometimes you just have to roll with the punches but instead of just accepting change, take charge of it. It's all about convincing myself that, not only is the glass half full, but there are a couple of Oreo cookies next to it!