Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just Kim

"When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us."   
                                       - Alexander Graham Bell

I'm beginning to understand that quote. I'm just realizing all the opportunities/blessings/lessons that have come to me since Sue's death. Don't get me wrong.... if I could go back to the way things were - I would in a second... but, that's out of my hands. So, we make do with what we have left and we hesitantly peek into those opened doors. I think the two most important things that I've learned about myself would be: Just how strong I am....in all aspects....physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.  What I thought I could not survive.....I did. I'm continually amazed at my own determination and will and I don't say that in a bragging way at all.  I have also learned how to be just Kim again and that is probably the hardest thing to admit.  I was "Kim and ________" for 14 years and then I went immediately into "Kim and Sue" for 10 years and now I'm.......just Kim. Single, is not my comfort zone, at all. I'm just better at being in a partnership. Single is a strange, foreign and awkward place for me .......right now anyway.  Maybe I'll be posting something entirely different in the near future? I only know the path behind me - I have no idea what's ahead......kind of exciting, huh?

** Today is World AIDS Day **